Monday, December 13, 2010

day 3.

dear parents.

Let me start by saying a humongous thank you.

My whole life, I have been sheltered and protected. I used to feel that you guys were being overprotective but after I started college and had to live on my own and face problems by myself did I realise how much I had taken you guys for granted.

Freedom meant everything to me when I was in high school. Freedom to drink into oblivion, to stay out all night and to do anything I wanted, just like my friends. And while it used to be a pain in the ass, now I am so grateful that you did not allow me to do so. Thank you for setting boundaries and in the process helping me to be where I am today.

Dad, thank you for being around. I know you work hard to provide for us. But thank you for still being a family man in the process. Taking time to sit around and play with the dogs with me. It means a lot because I know not everyone has the privilege of having a father around.

Mom. Thank you teaching me to be strong. The year when you got sick was the worst year in my life so far. Watching you become thin and pale, puking after your chemo sessions was more than I could take at times. It was that year we began going back to church, remember? God plans everything to happen for a reason. And thank you, mom, for staying strong and surviving. You know we could not have been able to cope without a mother in our lives. I love you. ♥

I'm sorry for the times I was a monster. I really was. I remember. And I won't elaborate because some things are best left forgotten, yes? :)

i love you both!

love, karen

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I hope your parents read this. It's good that you realised not everyone has the privilege that you had.

    ReplyDelete